The warm notes of pumpkin spice are perfect for savory dishes, especially when combined with nutty brown butter and wild rice. This vegetarian recipe is hearty enough to eat as an entree but also works terrific as a side with your favorite protein. The final touches of chopped kale and toasted pumpkin seeds give it a bright note with a touch of crunch.
- In a large saucepot, brown the butter over medium heat.
- Add the shallots to the pot and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the wild rice. Toast for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the pumpkin. Add the vegetable broth, pumpkin spice, pork rub and salt.
- Rapidly, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the fresh kale and pumpkin seeds.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy.