In my opinion, Monkey Bread is one of those breakfast recipes you make when you want comfort food. It’s gooey & sweet, like a giant cinnamon roll that you can eat with your fingers. We wanted to kick it up even more and used orange peel powder along with loads of cinnamon and brown sugar.
This recipe can be modified in any way your heart desires. You could add chunks of apple, swap orange for cloves or cardamom, you could even toss in cooked crumbled bacon for a savory surprise.
Crock Pot Cinnamon-Orange Monkey Bread
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- cooking spray
- 2 cans buttermilk biscuits (16.3 oz each)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons orange peel powder
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons orange juice
- Spray the insert of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, add the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and orange peel powder and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Open cans of biscuits and cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Roll gently into a ball. Repeat with all biscuits. Add the butter to a shallow dish and roll the balls to coat. Roll in sugar-spice mixture and place into prepared slow cooker. Repeat, layering loosely. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours. Turn out onto a serving dish.
- In a small bowl add the powdered sugar and orange juice and stir to combine. Pour over warm monkey bread and serve immediately.