Click the play button to watch the above recipe video!
There’s chicken & waffles. And then there’s a Kimchi Korean BBQ Fried Chicken & Smoky Honey Habanero Sweet Potato Waffle Sandwich. Needless to say – there’s a lot of delicious things going on with this sandwich.
First we have the Smoky Honey Habanero Waffles that we’re using as the buns. This recipe stands on its own – and you should make these for your next epic brunch. Then you have Korean BBQ Fried Chicken topped with a kimchi coleslaw.
The name might be a mouthful, but one bite and you’re going to be as obsessed with this sando as we are.
Check out more of Chef Tony’s recipes over on Youtube.
Korean BBQ Fried Chicken & Sweet Potato Waffle Sandwich
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 8 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
Smoky Honey Habanero Sweet Potato Waffles Ingredients
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup Butter, Unsalted
- 2 cups AP Flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar, Light
- 1/4 cup Spiceology Smoky Honey Habanero
Korean BBQ Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 4 fl ounces Buttermilk
- 2 fl ounces Soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons Spiceology Korean BBQ
- 1 teaspoon Spiceology MSG
- 4 fl ounces Kimchi liquid
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1 pound Chicken Thighs
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1 cup Kimchi, chopped
- 1/2 cup Potato Starch
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 36 fl ounces Peanut Oil
- 1 ounce Cabbage, Chiffonade
- 3 sets, Buns or Smoky Honey Habanero Waffles
Smoky Honey Habanero Sweet Potato Waffles
- In a medium size sauce pot, melt butter on low heat. Once melted, drop in potatoes and cook until tender on medium heat.
- Once tender place potatoes in a blender and puree. Use water if needed to loosen up the puree.
- Set bowl with puree potatoes in fridge to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine the batter ingredients and fold in the puree and mix well.
- Set your waffle iron to its preferred doneness, oil iron and pour in batter. Cook until all edges are crispy.
- Serve with Korean Style Fried Chicken
Korean BBQ Fried Chicken & Sandwich
- In a mixing bowl combine your buttermilk, 3 tablespoons of Spiceology Korean BBQ blend, Spiceology MSG, Kimchi liquid, soy, salt and stir well combining all ingredients.
- Place chicken thighs in brine and soak overnight (or minimum 4 hours).
- In a medium mixing bowl combine starch, flour, baking powder and 3 tablespoons of Spiceology Korean BBQ, mix well.
- In a wok or fry pot bring your oil to 375-400 degrees.
- Take your chicken out the brine and dredge in your flour starch mixture. Press the dredge on to the chicken thighs so it adheres everywhere.
- Drop the dredged chicken into the hot oil and cook until golden brown /165 degrees internal temperature.
- Set on a rack to allow the excess oil to drip fall off the chicken
- Combine mayo and chopped kimchi and mix well.
- Toast bun or Smoky Honey Habanero Waffles and spread on desired mayo.
- Add cabbage to bottom bun / waffle and place chicken over the cabbage and top with top bun / waffle and eat!