Growing up, we all looked forward to the summers at the fair. It’s so nostalgic to get a corn dog at one of the food stands and grab an ice cold fresh-squeezed lemonade to pair with it. Chef Aaron Fish puts his own spin on this snack making Oh Canada Bratwurst Corn Dogs and a Bangin’ Bhangra Tomato Jam sauce. Pour a glass of your favorite beer or lemonade, dip your corn dog in that tomato jam and dig in.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup Spiceology Oh Canada Seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soda water, cold
- 1 cup buttermilk, cold
- 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons DJ BBQ Bangin’ Bhangra Seasoning
- Mix the cornmeal and buttermilk until fully incorporated. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Using precooked bratwurst (or hot dogs if that’s how you do) toss them in corn starch and then batter before frying in a 375 degree deep fryer.
- Cook 2-4 minutes or until crispy and hot all the way through.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot and heat over medium heat until simmering.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently to avoid scorching, for 1-2 hours or until reduced by half.
- Place in blender and puree.
- Serve with bratwurst corn dogs!