The internet is abuzz with images of Butter Chicken! Every time I open Pinterest….there it is. Taunting me. So in an effort to curb my craving once and for all – I made it over the weekend.
I did some digging and let me tell you, there are a plethora of recipes on the interwebs for this dish. Some have a spice list a mile long, others not so much. Some have butter (hence the name) some none at all. So which one is the right one? Only your Indian Grandmother will know for sure. I took inspiration from my sweet friend Chung-Ah at www.damndelicious.net and decided to go the slow-cooker route. I eliminated the slough of spices by using our Spiceology Tandoori Glory Indian Masala Blend and a handful of other ingredients. The kids gobbled it up, the husband and dad didn’t speak much during dinner (a sure sign it was a winner) and seconds were had by all.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
Makes 8 Servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology Tandoori Glory Indian Masala Blend
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can Light Coconut Milk
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- cilantro for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until just melted, add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the Tandoori Glory, tomato paste and coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the coconut spice mixture into a slow cooker. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Serve with steamed rice and sprinkle cilantro over.