- 2 medium Italian eggplants
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons Hell’s Kitchen Smashing Salmon blend
- Preheat grill or oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise. Poke the skin sides of the eggplant with a fork all over. Brush the cut side with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle the salt. Grill cut side down until lightly browned and cooked all the way through. If the eggplants brown too quickly turn them over and finish cooking on the skin side. Once the eggplants have cooled to the touch peel off the tough outer skin and discard. For the oven: Place oiled and salted eggplant, cut side down on a sheet pan that is lined with parchment or foil and bake until soft.
- Roast the red bell pepper by coating the pepper lightly with 1 tablespoon olive oil and grilling on high direct heat, turning, until blackened on all sides. Once blackened, place the bell pepper in a bowl and cover with plastic to steam for several minutes. Once the bell pepper has cooled to the touch, peel off the charred outer skin. Remove the stem and seeds. For the oven: Roast bell pepper under a broiler in the oven or over an open flame.
- Puree the garlic, roasted eggplant, bell pepper, and Smashing Salmon blend in a food processor, pulse until smooth. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Serve with bread, crackers, chips, or as a spin on avocado toast with sautéed mushrooms.