The smoky snacky crunch you need for your next game-day snack. Chef Aaron Fish turns it up with Smoked Chipotle Mezcal Chicharrones featuring Derek Wolf Spirit-Infused Smoked Chipotle Mezcal blend paired with a creamy hatch chile dipping sauce. Chicharrones are delicious crunchy pork rinds typically just eaten with salt. Chef Aaron sauces it up similar to wings with an infused sauce that’s not only smoky and tangy but also packs a punch for a mind-blowing snack. Dish it up for game-day or for an appetizer.
Smoked Chipotle Mezcal Chicharrones
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2--4 servings 1x
- 1 medium bag Chicharrons
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Derek Wolf Smoked Chipotle Mezcal Blend
- ¼ pound butter, cubed
Hatch Chile Dip
- 2 each hatch chiles (poblano is a good substitute), roasted – peeled – and seeded
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Empty bag of Chicharrons onto a lined sheet tray. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Do not place in oven yet.
- In a large sauce pot (bigger the better, so it doesn’t overflow and make a mess), combine honey, sugar, vinegar, salt and Smoked Chipotle Mezcal blend. Bring to a simmer and cook using a candy thermometer at 210-230 degrees for about 15 minutes. Turn up and cook to 265 degrees before removing from heat and adding cubed butter 1-2 cubes at a time whisking until incorporated.
- Place Chicharrons in oven to warm while making dip.
- Combine all dip ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Place in a bowl for dipping.
- Remove chicharrons from oven and place in a large mixing bowl. Pour Smoked Chipotle Mezcal caramel over the chicharrons and mix gently with a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula. This will be sticky. Turn out onto a serving vessel and garnish with cilantro, lime zest and fried garlic. Dip and enjoy!