- 1 medium bag Chicharrons
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Derek Wolf Smoked Chipotle Mezcal Blend
- ¼ pound butter, cubed
Hatch Chile Dip
- 2 each hatch chiles (poblano is a good substitute), roasted – peeled – and seeded
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Empty bag of Chicharrons onto a lined sheet tray. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Do not place in oven yet.
- In a large sauce pot (bigger the better, so it doesn’t overflow and make a mess), combine honey, sugar, vinegar, salt and Smoked Chipotle Mezcal blend. Bring to a simmer and cook using a candy thermometer at 210-230 degrees for about 15 minutes. Turn up and cook to 265 degrees before removing from heat and adding cubed butter 1-2 cubes at a time whisking until incorporated.
- Place Chicharrons in oven to warm while making dip.
- Combine all dip ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Place in a bowl for dipping.
- Remove chicharrons from oven and place in a large mixing bowl. Pour Smoked Chipotle Mezcal caramel over the chicharrons and mix gently with a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula. This will be sticky. Turn out onto a serving vessel and garnish with cilantro, lime zest and fried garlic. Dip and enjoy!