- Recipe by: D’Andre Balaoing @dandre_to_go
The iconic Japanese Shibuya Honey toast dessert meets the s’more in downtown Tokyo. Crispy, buttery toast is offset by smoky marshmallow meringue and punchy citrus fruit, kissed by the heat of the Habanero chili.
Smoky Habanero Honey Toast
(Yields ½ loaf Honey Toast [US])
- ½ loaf bread, whole
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Spiceology Smoky Honey Habanero Blend
(above glaze recipe can be scaled based on the amount of bread)
- Preheat oven to 355°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir melted butter and honey together; mix in Honey Habanero spice blend.
- Remove ends of the bread loaf to expose sponge inside; split loaf in half, width-wise.
- Remove inner “core” of the bread loaf, leaving a 1/4” border of crust intact.
- Slice bread “cores” into cubes; move to prepared pan to glaze.
- Brush or spoon glaze to thoroughly coat the bread crust (including interior), as well as the bread core cubes.
- Bake until golden and honey begins to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
(Yields 2 Cups)
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- pinch Kosher salt
- ¼ cup tangerine or orange juice
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 cup grapefruit juice
- zest of 1 tangerine or lemon
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients (except for butter) and whisk over medium heat to combine.
- Continue to whisk and cook, until the curd begins to foam and thicken to a creamy consistency; remove from heat and add butter.
- Whisk until butter melts and mixes into thickened curd; strain into a container, and chill until set (about 2-3 hours).
(Yields 1 Cup)
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ Cup sugar
- pinch Kosher salt
- pinch cream of tartar
- generous pinch Smoky Honey Habanero Blend
- 2-3 drops liquid smoke (optional)
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a simmer, over medium heat
- In a stand mixer bowl, combine all recipe ingredients together, and set over simmering water to create a double-boiler
- Whisk meringue base continuously, until mixture is thoroughly hot and free of undissolved sugar crystals
- Move stand mixer bowl to mixer unit (or use an electric hand mixer), and mix on high speed until meringue reaches glossy, stiff peaks
- Transfer meringue to a piping bag; chill until needed