We guarantee this is unlike any other stuffing you’ve had around the holidays. First off – there’s no bread. Nope, we’re swapping out those cubed carbs for sticky rice – and that’s just the beginning.
Chef Tony has designed a few Asian-fusion takes on classic holiday dishes that should inspire foodies, chefs and home cooks to experiment with flavor – including Togarashi.
Togarashi aka Seven Chile Spice, is a delicious blend for fish, chicken, seasoning rice and leafy vegetables and features warm spices and a hint of zesty fruitiness. It might just be your new favorite blend.
Togarashi Sticky Rice “Stuffing”
- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- 2 cups sweet rice
- 2 scallions bias cut
- 3 Chinese Sausage, bias cut
- 4 baby bok choy heads and leaves sliced in half
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 carrots julienned
- shiitake mushroom, diced
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Spiceology Togarashi, season to taste as garnish
- Chili Crisp, to taste as garnish
- In a rice cooker cook your rice on the sticky rice setting. If no rice cooker is a available – no problem. Rinse your rice and strain until the water is translucent again. Let the rice soak in warm water for 1 hour. Strain rice and place into a mixing bowl. In a pot, bring a qt of water to a boil and then pour over the rice and allow it to steep for 5 minutes. Strain again and place on cheese cloth then using the cheese cloth tie the rice into a ball.
- Place the ball of rice in the cheese clothe into a steam basket over simmering water. Steam for 15 minutes then turn over and steam for another 15 minutes. This should make the perfect stick rice.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a skillet on medium heat using a tablespoon of oil saute the sausage, carrot, onion and mushroom until the onion and carrots are caramelized.
- Add cooked rice, soy, molasses and chicken stock to pan and mix until rice is brown in color.
- Place pan in oven at 400 degrees until you see the rice start to brown and get crispy.
- While the rice is in the oven steam the bok choy and season with sesame oil and Togarashi.
- Serve rice over a bed of bok choy and season with Togarashi and chili crispy garnish with scallions.