Matt Broussard’s Turkey & Chill Recipe
Remember, use Code Matt10 for 10% off your order.
How to Make the Ultimate Fried Turkey Sandwich
Recipe 1: For the Brioche buns
- 1/4 cup milk (60g warm milk)
- 1 tablespoon flour (20g flour)
- 1/2 tablespoon water (10g water)
- 1 cup warm milk (150g)
- 1/8 cup yeast (15g)
- 1/2 cup honey (65g)
- 1 3/4 cups (400g)
- A pinch of salt (4g)
- 3/4 cup soft butter (170g)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs (for egg wash)
- 1 yolk
- 1 tablespoon cream
- Cook tanzong in pan until it comes together.
- In mixing bowl whisk milk, yeast honey and let bloom.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, including the Tangzhong, then mix together with the hook of your mixxer. While mixing, add your butter slowly, one piece at a time. Mix on high for about 10 minutes.
- Put dough into a separate bowl cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Then proof for 30 minutes to an hour, or until it doubles in size.
- Once doubled in size, toss in fridge for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Then form doughballs as described in video Brush with egg wash, set onto a parchment paper-lined sheet tray.
- Bake at 400°F for 8 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake til deep golden, about 15 minutes. Cool and keep covered once cooled.
Now let’s make some fried turkey tenders.
Stuffing Dredge Ingredients:
- 1 quart flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 tablespoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Store in an airtight container. Mixture can be used for two months.
Turkey Tender Ingredients:
- 1-2 lbs turkey breast and tenders
- 1-quart buttermilk
- stuffing dredge (recipe above)
- herb mix (1/4 cup thyme,1/4 cup rosemary,1/4 cup sage)
- Marinade turkey in buttermilk overnight, if possible. (2 hours minimum)
- Combine ingredients for herb mix. Set aside still tenders are done frying.
- Coat tenders in stuffing dredge.
- Fry in canola oil at 325°F until golden brown, and they’ve reached 165°F internal temp.
- Immediately after frying, toss tenders in a bowl with herb mix and salt to taste.
Turkey has got to have it’s gravy.
- 1 chicken carcasse or Turkey
- knob of ginger
- 1 yellow onion
- Roast the bones in a 500°F oven til dark.
- Toss into a pot at least a gallon with the onion and ginger.
- Fill to the top with water and bring up to a roll boil.
- Now forget everything you’ve been taught about making stock. We want a milky creamy stock.
- Keep it boiling hard and keeping filling up to the imaginary line that you want to keep it at with water as needed.
- After about 2-3 hours, blend with an immersion blender or chop up with knife.
- Keep boiling for another 3-4 hours or overnight simmer like I did.
*May be held in the fridge for about a week. Will need to be re boiled again to emulsify.
- black pepper (used Spiceology Smoked Peppercorns)
- salt, to taste
- herbs, thyme, rosemary
- 1 quart broth
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Put stock, herbs, black pepper in a saucepot and bring to a simmer
- Whisk in corn starch slurry and bring up to a simmer again
- Drop heat to low and pour half and half.
- Season with salt to taste and rice wine vinegar.
*May be held in fridge for about a week
And it’s not a Thanksgiving sandwich without the cranberry sauce.
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups water or orange juice optional
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- (optional) sprig of thyme
- Bring everything to a simmer in a pot.
- Once cranberries have “popped” open, they’re done.
- If you want a thicker sauce, let simmer over heat for ten minutes or until desired thickness.
- Brioche Bun
- 2- 3 fried turkey tenders
- Cranberry sauce
- Toast brioche bun.
- Assemble sandwich with sauce and turkey.