I don’t know about you, but chicken is a staple in my house and I’m always trying to find new ways to make chicken a little more interesting. This dish takes it to the next level with layers of flavor from the fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, seasoning to the tomatoes paired with a balsamic vinegar glaze.
Let us know if you tried it and share how it turned out.
- 4 large chicken breasts, (6 ounces each)
- 4 oz log sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 20 leaves fresh basil, divided (half of it cut into ribbons)
- 2 teaspoons Spiceology Za’atar Blend
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar glaze
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Make 5-6 deep slits in each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Season both sides with sea salt and black pepper. Place onto the lined baking sheet.
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella very thinly, about 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick, and cut the pieces to a width slightly wider than the thickness of your chicken breast. Stuff a piece of mozzarella, a tomato slice, and a whole basil leaf into each slit in the chicken.
- Drizzle olive oil and season with Spiceology Za’atar all over the chicken.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through (heated to 165° F with a meat thermometer).
- When the chicken is ready, sprinkle remaining fresh basil ribbons on top right before serving. If desired, drizzle with balsamic vinegar glaze.
Recipe by: Sally Roeckell @tableanddish