- 1 9-inch Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Spiceology Chinese 5 Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15 ounce can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 15 ounce can Evaporated Milk
For the Meringue:
- 180 grams Egg Whites
- 360 grams Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out pie crust and line a 9 inch deep dish pie plate, crimping the edges. Refrigerate while mixing the filling.
- In a small bowl stir together the sugar, salt, and Spiceology Chinese 5 Spice powder.
- In a large bowl, whip the eggs slightly. Add the pumpkin puree and sugar mixture and combine with a whisk.
- Slowly add the evaporated milk while stirring until fully combined.
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the prepared crust and bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 30-45 minutes until custard is set (there should be a slight jiggle in the center of the pie).
- Let the pie cool at room temperature and then refrigerate.
- To make the meringue place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Place the sugar, lemon juice, and water in a medium pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sugar is boiling start mixing the whites on medium speed. Cook the sugar until it measures 244 degrees F with a candy thermometer. You want the egg whites to be quite frothy when the sugar is ready so try and time this perfectly.
- When the sugar is ready turn the mixer to high speed. Slowly pour the sugar syrup into the egg whites, being careful not to hit the whisk or splash the hot sugar. Continue whipping until stiff and cool.
- Spread the merinuge over the pie and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, use a torch to toast the meringue.