- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 ounces chopped pancetta
- 5–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Spice blend
- 16 oz Spicy Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 lb pasta, such as rigatoni or penne
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add shallots and pancetta. Cook over medium heat until pancetta is crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so.
- Add the vodka, tomatoes, and pumpkin puree and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the Pumpkin Spice blend, heavy cream, thyme and Parmesan cheese. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often so it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta during this time.
- In a large skillet, add the sausage and cook, breaking into smaller pieces, until cooked through. Add the wine and cook until the wine has been absorbed.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Plate the pasta, top with spicy sausage, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese and serve.