- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2oz “nuggets”
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Maker’s Fried & True Blend
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon each garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup Maker’s 46
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- Brine Chicken: Mix buttermilk, spices and salt together in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss well. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Re-toss before dredging.
- Dredge Chicken: Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl. Dredge each nugget well (coat with mixture) making sure flour has gotten into all crevices. Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes (at least).
- Fry Chicken: Heat a deep fryer with peanut oil to 350 degrees. In batches, fry chicken until internal temperature is 160 degrees (approximately 4-5 minutes). Once cooked, let chicken rest on a cooling rack.
- Make Hot Honey: In a medium pot add Makers 46 and on medium heat start to reduce. Whiskey will flame! Reduce till you have a tablespoon. Add honey and Tabasco and stir well.
- Serve ‘em Up: Serve the “nuggets” with a few kosher dill pickle slices and a drizzle of hot honey. And, as “Cajun-born and braised” Chef Toups says, “laissez les bons temps rouler”… aka let the good times roll.