Because homemade fried chicken is simply the best. Add Maker’s 46 into the mix and it’s sublime. Chef Isaac Toups shares his take on this family recipe that’s reimagined using our new Maker’s 46 blend.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2oz “nuggets”
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Maker’s Fried & True Blend
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon each garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup Maker’s 46
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- Brine Chicken: Mix buttermilk, spices and salt together in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss well. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Re-toss before dredging.
- Dredge Chicken: Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl. Dredge each nugget well (coat with mixture) making sure flour has gotten into all crevices. Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes (at least).
- Fry Chicken: Heat a deep fryer with peanut oil to 350 degrees. In batches, fry chicken until internal temperature is 160 degrees (approximately 4-5 minutes). Once cooked, let chicken rest on a cooling rack.
- Make Hot Honey: In a medium pot add Makers 46 and on medium heat start to reduce. Whiskey will flame! Reduce till you have a tablespoon. Add honey and Tabasco and stir well.
- Serve ‘em Up: Serve the “nuggets” with a few kosher dill pickle slices and a drizzle of hot honey. And, as “Cajun-born and braised” Chef Toups says, “laissez les bons temps rouler”… aka let the good times roll.