- Recipe by: Matt Broussard @acooknamedmatt
- Difficulty level: Moderate
- Time: 2-3 hours
For the hot dogs
- 2 1/4 lbs pork butt or shoulder ground
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon pink curing salt #1
- 1/2 tablespoon Spiceology Paprika Ground
- 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 cup iced water
- Hog casing — https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Casings-Sausage-Oversea-Casing/dp/B00EZTIGNA
- Mix all ingredients except water in a stand mixer or food processor until really fine.
- Slowly pour in water while mixing to emulsify.
- Store in fridge until needed.
- Soak casings in water for about fifteen minutes.
- Rinse casings thoroughly by filling with water about five times.
- Load up hot dog stuffer with filling and the load up nozzle with the casing.
- Remove air and then tie a knot at the end of it.
- Once stuffed go ahead and twist into links of desired length.
- Smoke at 200°F, Roast at 200°F, or poach at 180°F until internal temp reaches 145-150°F.
- Immediately drop into ice water and store in fridge till needed.
Seattle Style Hot Dog
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- pinch of Spiceology Jalapeño Powder
- 1 hot dog
- 1 hot dog bun
- Caramelize onion, I have videos on this if you want an in depth explanation on this.
- Top seared off hot dog with caramelized onions, cream cheese and jalapeño powder all in a butter toasted bun.
American Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 cup cream cheese
- salt to taste
- Melt butter in a thick pot, whisk in the flour slowly and cook for about a minute.
- Pour in milk while whisking energetically.
- Bring up to a simmer.
- Whisk in cheddar and cream cheese.
- Salt to taste!
- 1 green bell pepper
- one yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- Deseed peppers and slice all veggies.
- Caramelize in a pan all together
Build the dog:
Serve on a toasted bun with drizzled American cheese sauce and caramelized vegetables.