Click the play button to watch the above recipe video!
The crunch and flavor of these Aloo (Potato) Bonda Masala is a game changer. Chef Tony Reed walks you through how to make these for your next dinner party.
This recipe features Spiceology’s popular Garam Masala – an Indian spice blend with coriander, cumin, cardamom, fennel, mustard, cloves, turmeric, and black pepper.
Check out more of Chef Tony’s recipes over on Youtube.
- 2 teaspoons, Mustard Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon, Spiceology Cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon, Spiceology Coriander, ground
- 4 tablespoons, Cashews, crushed
- 1 Onion, Yellow, Minced
- 1 teaspoon, Ginger, Minced
- 1/2 teaspoon, Spiceology Turmeric, ground
- 1 Green chili, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon, Kashmiri red chili powder (or 3:1 Paprika:Cayenne)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon, Spiceology Garam Masala
- 3 Potatoes, Mashed
- 2 tablespoons, Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon, Lemon Juice
- 1 cup, Chickpea Flour
- 1/4 cup, Corn flour
- 1/4 teaspoon, Spiceology Turmeric, ground
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon, Kashmiri red chili powder (or 3:1 Paprika:Cayenne)
- 1/4 teaspoon, Ajwain seeds
- Water, as required
- 1 teaspoon, Mustard Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon, Baking Soda
- 1 quart, Fry Oil (peanut oil)
- Bring mustard oil to temperature in sauté pan. Sauté chopped onions, ginger and chili.
- Add cumin, coriander.
- Add cashews and roast to golden.
- Add in turmeric, chili powder, garam masala powder and salt, and sauté.
- Fold in the mashed potato and mix well (you don’t want to see any white mashed potatoes).
- Additionally, add in coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- With a 2 oz ice cream scooper, scoop the aloo (potato) and place on a sheet tray.
- Once it’s all on the sheet tray place the aloo in the freezer long enough to set (around 20 minutes).
- In a sauce pan (or wok) bring fry oil to temperature (375 degrees F).
- Prepare the batter – you want the batter to be like pancake batter consistency.
- Remove the aloo balls from freezer and dip into batter one at a time.
- Fry until the they turn golden and crisp.
- Serve aloo bonda along with mint chutney.