- Take your chicken out of the fridge and pat dry. Season each side generously with the rub, using more if needed. Allow it to sit at room temperature while you light the coals.
- Preheat your grill to a medium-high temperature of around 350F.
- Skewer the chicken drumsticks, alternating their direction. Make sure you don’t pierce the bone, skewer through the thicker side of the drumstick.
- Place the skewers over the coals, about 6-8″ away. Rotate as needed, making sure that the thicker parts are cooked through. You will grill for 20-25 minutes until they reach about 175F internal temperature. Stay near them to avoid burnt spots.
- Pull the skewers when ready and allow them to rest for a few minutes while you prepare the sauce.
- Mix the sour cream, mayo, and BBQ sauce together. Add herbs or fresh chiles if using.
- Serve with citrus slices and beer, squeezing the citrus over the chicken.
You can customize the sauce and seasonings to your preference. Grill directly on grates if you do not have an open pit or skewers.