Smash Burgers Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef (80% lean / 20% fat)
- Take ground beef and make a patty about 1/4 pound in weight. Weigh it out on a scale if need be.
- Place on parchment paper and smash gently.
- Take another piece of parchment paper and place on top of the patty.
- Use a pie pan to press down and smash patties. Leave the parchment paper on and set aside on a platter to cook later.
- Do this until you use up all the ground beef and place in fridge until ready to cook. Now it’s time to make your toppings.
Black Tuxedo Caramelized Onion
- 1 each large red onion, julienned (sliced into half moons thin)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon The Grill Dads Black Tuxedo Rub
- Preheat a 10” frying pan over medium heat. We used our 10″ Made In Frying pan. Add canola and onions. Cook, stirring often, for 10-20 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for additional 20-30 minutes, stirring often.
- Once onions are brown and caramelized, push to half of the pan and turn up to medium/high. Add water and Black Tuxedo, to bloom in water.
- Scrape up all the fond (onion cooked onto bottom of frying pan), mix the onions well and reduce until water is gone.
Bada Bing Pickles
- 2 each cucumbers, sliced
- 1 each garlic clove, sliced thin
- ¼ yellow onion, julienned
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons The Grill Dads Bada Bing Dry Brine
- Place cucumbers, onions and garlic in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat vinegar, sugar and bada bing over high heat until boiling.
- Pour over cucumber mix and toss with wooden spoon.
- Let sit at room temperature for at least 40 minutes before packing and placing in refrigerator.
Purple Haze Secret Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology Purple Haze Rub
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Set aside and mix again after 5-10 minutes, you want the purple haze to rehydrate and mix in.
Making the Burgers
- smashed burger patties
- cheddar cheese, sliced
- burger buns of choice
- shredded lettuce
- Black Tuxedo caramelized onions
- Bada Bing Pickles
- Purple Haze Secret Sauce
- Heat up a cast iron griddle to about 400 degrees F. Use Canola oil and oil the spots where you are placing your patties. Season top of patties generously with salt.
- Flip patties and cook on the other side until desired doneness.
- Place piece of cheese on the top 2 minutes before pulling off the griddle.
- Pan toast buns until golden brown.
- Assemble burgers by lathering buns with the secret sauce on both sides. Add pickles to the bottom bun with shredded lettuce. Then added your burger patty (or patties if you’re going for a double cheese burger) and top off with caramelized onions and the top of the bun. Take a bite!