Click the play button above to watch the recipe video!
Chef Tony Reed gives a classic Mapo Tofu recipe a major umami kick by adding Spiceology X Jet Tila Fiery Sweey bulgogi-inspired spice blend into the mix.
Check out more of Chef Tony’s recipes over on Youtube.
- 1 Package Firm Tofu, medium diced
- 2 Tablespoons Spiceology X Jet Tila Fiery Sweet Bulgogi-Inspired blend
- 1/4 Cup Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Spiceology Sichuan Peppercorns
- 10 Spiceology Chile De Arbol, chopped
- 10 Fermented Black beans, chopped
- 4 Ounces Pork, Ground
- 4–6 Thai Red Chiles, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
- Green Onion for garnish
- 16 ounces Vegetable Stock (or water)
- 1 Tablespoon Black Bean chili paste
- 2 Tablespoons Starch
- 1/4 Cup water
- In a hot wok use vegetable oil to season wok.
- On low heat toast the Sichuan peppercorn and chile de arbol (15-30 seconds). Remove from wok and use a mortar and pestle to grind.
- In the same wok, roast your garlic, ginger with vegetable oil.
- Drop in ground pork and cook.
- Now pour over your dark soy Sichuan peppercorn and both chiles (allow the dark soy sauce to caramelize the pork).
- Add black bean chile sauce and black bean chili paste.
- Mix until the you start to see everything turn red.
- Add vegetable stock (or water), tofu and bring to a boil; season with Spiceology X Jet Tila Fiery Sweet and reduce for 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine water and starch and stir well to create a binder.
- Add the binder about 1 tablespoon at a time to mixture until you get your sauce to the thickness of liking.
- Plate in a bowl and garnish with green onions, ground Sichuan peppercorn, red oil, and sesame oil.
- Serve with rice.