The chicken sandwich has been enjoying a perpetual moment in the fast food spotlight – but sometimes it just hits different (and better) when you make it at home. Enter the Smoky Honey Habanero Chicken Sandwich.
Our friends over at the La Brea Bakery (aka the insanely tasty bakery brainchild of Nancy Silverton) shared their recipe for this crispy, spicy, juicy, brioche-bun-smashing sando. Sorry, Jack – we’re taking the crispy chicken sandwich back.
Never used our signature Smoky Honey Habanero blend? 1) Seriously?! If you’re reading this and haven’t tried Spiceology’s beloved and first-ever blend – jump on that. 2) The magic is in the perfect amount of Smoked Paprika, Habanero Powder and Honey Granules. Shake this stuff on a hot piece of meat and the Honey Granules create an almost crust that is just dang delicious.
Photo and recipe courtesy of La Brea Bakery.
- 1 La Brea Bakery Brioche Bun
- 1 5-oz. piece of chicken breast
- 2 pieces of bacon, cooked
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 piece butter lettuce
- 2 tbsp. Spiceology Smoky Honey Habanero Seasoning
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 5 ½ cups plus 1 tsp. grapeseed or other neutral oil
- 1 tbsp. apple juice
- ½ tsp. honey
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- Pickles, thinly sliced
- In a cast iron skillet or saucepan, heat oil to 350℉.
- Place chicken on a board and pound until it’s about 1-inch thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread flour evenly over a plate. Crack an egg into a bowl and whisk to combine; set aside. Spread panko breadcrumbs on a second plate.
- To bread the chicken, dredge the chicken in the flour, then dip both sides into egg, and finally fully coat with breadcrumbs.
- Lower the chicken carefully into the oil and let it cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and check that it is fully cooked by inserting a thermometer. It should be at least 165℉.
- Brush Brioche Bun with oil; toast on a pan until golden-brown.
- For the sauce, combine Smoky Honey Habanero spice blend, honey, apple juice, and a ½-cup of oil; mix together.
- To build the sandwich, place the bottom bun on a work surface and add mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, and bacon.
- Whisk the sauce thoroughly and brush on all sides of the fried chicken to fully coat. Place chicken on top of bacon. Add pickles, top with remaining bun, and serve hot.