Green Bean Casserole Bundles
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 servings 1x
- 1.5 pounds fresh green beans
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Adam McKenzie Garlic Junkie Seasoning
- 10 slices thin-cut bacon
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup french fried onions
- Preheat your grill or oven to 400°. Bring a pot of water to boil while you wash and trim the green beans. Slice the onion into ¼ inch thick rings. Slice the portobello mushrooms into ½ inch thick slices.
- When the water is boiling, cook the green beans in two batches until just crisp tender (about 4 minutes). Transfer to a water bath to stop them from continuing to cook. Repeat with other half of beans, and once cooled completely, drain the beans. In a large frying pan, melt ½ of the butter and cook the onion slices until golden brown and softened. Remove onions to a plate, and then melt the other half of the butter. Arrange the sliced mushrooms in a single layer in the pan and cook until browned and softened. Stir in Garlic Junkie. Remove mushrooms from the pan and allow to cool briefly.
- Arrange the bacon slices on a plate lined with paper towels and microwave for 1 minute until par-cooked.
- Assemble the bundles by gathering 8-10 green beans, a few slices of cooked mushrooms and a few pieces of sauteed onion in your hand. Place a piece of par-cooked bacon on a cutting board, and then place bean/onion/mushroom bundles on the end of the bacon. Then wrap tightly and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, with the seam side down on the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining beans, mushrooms, onion and bacon. Place cookie sheet in the hot grill and cook for about 20 minutes until the bacon is crispy. While the bundles cook, combine canned mushroom soup, chicken broth and soy sauce, and heat through.
- When the bacon is crisp, transfer the bundles to a platter and drizzle with mushroom soup mixture. Sprinkle with the French fried onions and serve. Budget about 2 bundles per diner.