Option 1: Poolish (easier)
- 250g water
- 250g all-purpose flour
Option 2: Whole Wheat Starter
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 75g whole wheat flour
- 250g water
- 1g yeast
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Put mixed starter ingredients into a jar or container that can be sealed
- Leave jar out at room temperature, covered with cheesecloth or breathable fabric for 14 hours.
- After 24 hours, discard 50% of the mix. Then add in equal amounts, measured in weight, of flour and water.
- Watch your starter till you see it begin to bubble. That means it’s alive!
- Store your starter in the fridge and feed it daily by adding equal amounts of flour and water.
Now let’s make the bread.
- 450g all-purpose flour
- 100g whole wheat Flour
- 2g yeast
- 15g salt
- 380g 60°F water
- 150g starter
- Mix dry and wet ingredients separately with a wooden spoon.
- Grab a spatula and fold dough until incorporated and sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a clean bowl and cover with a towel at room temp for 40 minutes.
- Stretch dough into an 18”x10” rectangle on a dusted surface and fold in thirds horizontally, then lengthwise.
- Form dough into a ball and put back in a clean bowl, seam side down. Cover with a towel for 40 minutes.
- Repeat stretching dough and folding. Then let the dough rest for an additional 40 minutes. Do this step twice, letting dough rest for a total of 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Stretch and fold dough one final time then cup hands and roll dough ball towards your chest to tighten the dough.
- In a bowl lined with a kitchen towel, dust dough with dusting mix and place seam side up.
- Refrigerate for at least 14 hours.
- Remove dough from the fridge and bring to room temperature.
- Preheat over to 500°F.
- Flour a paddle or board with a dusting mix and slowly drop dough into cast iron Dutch oven.
- Put the lid on cast iron and pop it in the oven.
- Drop heat of the oven to 450°F and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid from cast iron after 30 minutes, bake bread for an additional 20 minutes until a deep dark color has formed on top.
- Pull from oven and let cool on a rack.