Chef Tony whipped up a BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich that is super simple to make and incredibly tasty. Your guests won’t even know that aren’t eating pork! This recipe is quick to toss together and can be served on any type of vegan bread (or regular if you aren’t diet specific).
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich
- (2) 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water (NOT in syrup or brine*)
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology Black Magic Cajun Rub
- 1 cup Spiceology Black Magic BBQ Sauce (replace the honey with agave to stay vegan and double check to make sure your Worcestershire is vegan)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cup shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1 tablespoon Spiceology Guac And Roll Salt Free Seasoning
- water, to thin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 slices vegan bread
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews
- Rinse, drain, and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the center “core” portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside
- Season jackfruit with Black Magic and salt. Toss to coat
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of Avocado oil and seasoned jackfruit (use more oil, as needed, if increasing batch size). Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in Spiceology Black Magic BBQ sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir occasionally. For a pulled pork effect, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
- In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
- Remove jackfruit from heat.
- Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit, and cashews. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!