The ultimate date night dinner trifecta: steak, fries and veggies. Chef Tony shows you how to make the most perfect steak on the stove – the secret ingredient? A Greek Freak compound butter to baste the steak. Full recipe below!
Pick up these high-quality proteins and pre-made Spiceology compound butters at Rosauers Supermarket Meat Departments. Find Your Store
For the Veggies
- 1 Fennel Bulb, Quartered and sliced
- 12 oz Kale 8 oz Oyster Mushrooms, Shredded
- 2 Tbsp Spiceology Greek Freak
- 2 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 3 Tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- Lemon Zest from Half Lemon
- Lemon Juice to taste
- Korean Chile Flake for garnish
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter Parmesan to taste
For the Steak & Fries
- 1 lb Tri Tip steak
- 2–3 Tbsp Greek Freak Compound Butter (1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature + 1 Tbsp Spiceology Greek Freak blend – mix well, place on parchment paper and seal well, and freeze to firm.)
- 1 Thyme sprig
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 8 oz Frozen French fries / frites
- Preheat your oven to the desire temperature to cook your fries.
- While your fries are in the oven (most directions are for 25 minutes at 425 degrees) in a large sauté pan on medium high heat sauté your fennel, kale and mushrooms with clarified butter until tender.
- Remove the quartered fennel and set aside once browned on each side.
- Season with Greek Freak and drop in your thyme sprigs until mushrooms and kale are tender.
- Top with lemon zest and toss and/or stir to distribute lemon flavor.
- Plate immediately and garnish with chile flake, lemon juice, quartered fennel bulb top with shredded parmesan.
- Once you plate your sauteed vegetables bring a medium to large size sauté pan to smoking hot and then bring to medium high heat.
- Drop 1 Tbsp of oil into the pan and place tri tip strips in to sear. Sear for about 2 minutes each side.
- After flipping the steak over to sear the second side drop in your compound butter and baste until your desire doneness.
- A medium rare to medium steak will want to be taken off the pan at around 119 degrees.
- Allow steak to rest for about 10 minutes to get to temp. Slice and plate with sauteed vegetables and crispy French fries.