Sweet Teriyaki Sake Agedashi Tofu
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2–4 servings 1x
- 1 block firm tofu
- corn starch or potato starch (for coating)
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/8 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Derek Wolf Sweet Teriyaki Sake Blend
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- Cut tofu into 12 equal pieces. Place in a single layer on paper towel-lined sheet pan. Place more paper towels on top and press gently to remove moisture.
- Fill pot or deep frying pan with oil up to 1 inch deep. Heat over medium/high heat until oil is 350 degrees.
- Toss tofu pieces in corn starch and fry in the oil being careful not to overcrowd. Working in batches if necessary. Turn frequently to promote even browning while frying. Remove after 3-5 minutes or until desired doneness is achieved. Place on fresh paper towels or a roasting rack to rest as you make the broth.
- To make the broth combine the remaining ingredients in a sauce pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until sugar has dissolved.
- Ladle broth into a bowl and place 3-4 pieces of fried tofu on top. Garnish with fresh grated ginger, green onions, seeds and fresh lemon or lime zest. Serve immediately.