Raise of hands of who has a nostalgic soft spot for hand pies from their childhood? Us and The Grill Dads, too.
Using Spiceology Apple Cinnamon blend and easy ingredients you probably already have in the pantry – pop these babies in the air fryer and you have dessert done in just under 20 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 large green apples, peeled and diced
- 2 small lemons, juiced, divided
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Spiceology Apple Cinnamon Blend
- 2 prepared rolled pie crust, from one (15 ounces) package
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter, apples, and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice and cook until they’ve just started to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Keep cooking but add in the sugars and Apple Cinnamon Blend. Cook the filling down until almost caramelized, about 5 more minutes. Remove from the heat to cool completely before building the hand pies.
- Roll out the dough and cut each round into 4 rectangles, about 3 by 5 inches. You may need to trim the rounded top and bottom of the pie round to give you straight edges to work with.
- Fill 4 of the rectangles with about ⅓ cup of the filling. Brush the edges of the pie dough with water, top with another rectangle and press to seal. Use a fork to press the edges together further.
- Heat your Ninja Foodi air fryer to 380 degrees F. We’re doing ours outside on our Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Grill. Cook the hand pies directly in the air fryer basket for 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the air fryer and cool for 5 minutes before icing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice until a thin icing forms. Brush the still warm hand pies with the icing. Let the icing set for 2 minutes before enjoying.