- Unsalted butter for baking dish, plus 2 Tbs.
- Canola oil for frying, plus 1 Tbs.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoon Raspberry Chipotle Spice Rub, divided
- 4 large shallots, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 lb. green beans, trimmed, halved and blanched
- Preheat an oven to 375° F. Butter a 13×9-inch baking dish, set aside.
- In a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, pour in oil to a depth of 1 inch and heat to 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Put 1⁄2 cup of the flour in a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon Raspberry Chipotle Spice Rub. Add the sliced shallots and toss to coat evenly. Working in batches, fry the shallots until golden brown and lightly crisped, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and lightly season with salt. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons butter. Add chopped onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1⁄4 cup flour and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. While stirring constantly, slowly add the stock and then the cream. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons Raspberry Chipotle and the green beans, season with salt and black pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the fried shallot rings on top.
- Bake until the edges are bubbling and the top is browned, about 30 minutes. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.