Yield 6 servings, cook time 25 minutes, Level: easy-medium
- 1 lb short pasta of choice (shells, elbow mac, Cavatappi are great choices)
- 8 oz medium cheddar shredded
- 8 oz smoked gouda shredded
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ pound smoky bacon diced
- ½ tablespoon Spiceology Smoky Honey Habanero Blend
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Over medium cook bacon until crispy, towards the end, add Spiceology Smoky Honey Habanero.
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil and cook pasta to al dente according to the package, once cooked, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Once the bacon is crispy, remove but leave the fat in the pan.
- Add butter and melt, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Have your helper pout in milk one cup at a time, while the parent whisks the entire time.
- Bring heat down to lowest setting, add salt, then have your helper add shredded cheese in a handful at a time, while you whisk constantly until all cheese is added and melted, then add pasta and crispy bacon and incorporate everything.
Suggested Wine Pairing: 2019 Courtney Benham Chardonnay Oak Knoll AVA Napa Valley