One thing is for certain, we sure love Black & Bleu in mashed potatoes! We’ve made them before, but this time we added buttermilk and fresh thyme and WOW WOW WOW. These Buttermilk & Bleu Mashed Potatoes would be a great side to your next holiday meal.
How to make super creamy taters: a potato ricer. It’s really the magic that makes mashed potatoes silky smooth. I like to warm the mix ins – butter and milk, in a small saucepan because ricing can take a little bit of time and you’re taking a large chunk of hot potato and ricing it down to a small grain the size of….you guessed it, RICE. So they can cool down quickly. Having the butter and milk warm makes this come together really quick and on the table in a snap.
- 6 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform chunks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 8–12 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for serving
- 3 tablespoons Spiceology Black & Bleu blend
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil. Add potatoes to the boiling water and bring the water back to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the buttermilk, milk and butter in a small saucepan, making sure it doesn’t boil. Set aside until the potatoes are done.
- As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander. Rice them in batches over a heatproof bowl. Stir in about half of the hot milk mixture rubber spatula. Add more milk mixture to make the potatoes creamy. Stir in the spice blend, fresh thyme leaves and season with salt and the pepper, and serve hot. To keep the potatoes warm, place the bowl over a pan of simmering water for up to 30 minutes. You can add a little extra hot milk to keep them creamy.