Foolproof Pie Crust & Honey Habanero Peach Pie Recipe
- Recipe by: D’Andre Balaoing @dandre_to_go
- Difficulty level: Easy (but sooo impressive looking)
This foolproof pie crust recipe is quick, easy, and is amped up with a hit of Spiceology Smoky Honey Habanero Spice blend for a kiss of heat, a perfect pairing with fruit, chocolate, or custard fillings. Whether you’re a seasoned Pastry Chef or just turning on the oven for the first time, this recipe makes it easy to be a barbecue hero. Note: This recipe was adapted from Seriouseats’ Easy Pie Dough recipe.
Foolproof Pie Crust:
(Makes 2 9” Pie crusts, one bottom and decorative top)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (with more to flour the work surface)
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology Smoky Honey Habanero Sweet Spicy Rub
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ sticks (20 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/3 cup water, chilled
- 1 tablespoon Vodka, chilled
- Combine 2/3 of Flour, Smoky Honey Habanero Spice Blend, Sugar, and Salt in a food processor and pulse to combine (3-5 short pulses).
- Add butter to processor, and pulse until dough begins to clump together and no dry flour bits remain (2-3 minutes of mixing); the dough should stick together when pinched.
- Sprinkle remaining dry flour over the formed dough, and pulse until dough begins to break apart (about 5 short pulses); turn the dough out into a mixing bowl.
- Stir water and vodka together, and pour over pie dough; fold together with a rubber spatula or spoon, until no stray liquid remains in the bowl and dough forms a ball.
- Generously flour the work surface, and rolling pin; turn dough out onto floured work surface, and divide in half.
- Press dough portion together into a rough disk; push a rolling pin down onto the dough to create an even surface.
- Push the rolling pin in one direction over the crust, to roll the disk to a 13-inch circle (if using a 9-inch pie plate); turn the dough between rolls to create an even crust, and press any cracks or breaks in the crust closed with your fingers.
- Transfer dough to a parchment-lined cookie sheet or pan, set aside.
- Re-flour the work surface, and prepare second dough half for rolling.
- If preparing a lattice top (woven), roll the dough half into a 8 x 13 rectangle (use a sheet of office paper for reference); if preparing a closed crust, roll into another 13-inch circle.
- Wrap both crusts with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before filling and baking pie; if freezing for later use, wrap individually and store frozen for up to 30 days.
Smoky Honey Habanero Peach Filling:
(Yields 6 Cups, enough to fill 9-inch pie crust)
- 3 pounds yellow peaches pitted and skinned
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology Smoky Honey Habanero Rub
- 1 ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- demerara or raw sugar, to finish
- Preheat oven to 425F, and place cast iron skillet or oven-safe skillet in the oven to preheat for at least 30 minutes.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water, and bring to a high simmer; fill a large bowl with water and ice to create an ice bath.
- Add peaches to a saucepan and simmer for 20-30 seconds (more if peaches are unripe), remove and place into ice bath for 2 minutes to stop cooling.
- Remove from bath, and remove skin by pushing off with your fingers; discard the skins and stem pieces.
- Slice peaches into half-inch-thick slices, and discard pits.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir Habanero Spice Blend, Salt, Granulated Sugar, Cornstarch, Lime Zest, and Lime Juice together; add peach slices to mixture, and toss to combine. Set aside for 20-30 minutes to soften peaches.
- Slice 8 x 13 Pie crust rectangle into 8, 1-inch strips (if preparing lattice); slice or punch out vents or shapes in the top crust (if preparing a closed crust), set aside.
- Fit bottom pie crust disk into pie plate by folding disk in half twice, to form a cone shape; place cone point in the center of the pie plate, and unfold the crust.
- Use your finger to press pie crust into pie plate corners, ensuring no gaps between the crust and plate.
- Spoon peach filling into the crust with 2 Tablespoons of peach syrup; discard remaining peach syrup.
- Arrange lattice strips on top of peaches to form the top crust, or lay closed crust on top; tuck any crust overhang underneath bottom crust to seal the pie.
- Whisk egg and milk together to create egg-wash, and brush on top of crust; sprinkle with demerara sugar, chill the pie for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Set pie on top of cast iron skillet inside the oven, and bake for 15 minutes; after 15 minutes, reduce heat to 375F and continue to bake for 45 minutes longer (use a pie shield or cover pie with foil if top crust begins to darken excessively or burn).
- Bake until pie is golden brown and peach filling has thickened and bubbles through top crust lattice or vent(s); cool completely before slicing.