Author: Krystal Harris
- 2 cups flour
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp) *
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium feta
- 2-4 tablespoons Spiceology Greek Freak Mediterranean Salt-Free Seasoning
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
Homemade Pretzels have never been easier!!
This dish is savory without the guilt! There is no salt in the dish other than a sprinkling of reduced-sodium feta cheese.
- Get a large mixing bowl and put your warm water and yeast. Let these two mingle together for about 10 minutes so that the yeast can bloom.
- After 10 minutes add your flour to the mixing bowl, warm water, almond milk, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix with a large spoon for about 3 minutes.
- Knead dough by hand or with a dough hook for about 2-3 minutes until all items are well incorporated. Dough will be soft and dry. Oil a clean mixing bowl and place dough in the bowl covered with a clean dish towel for 1-2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once your dough has doubled in size pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees. Bring the 6 cups of water to a roiling boil and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Punch dough down and transfer to a clean working space lightly dusted with flour. Cut dough into 8 pieces.
- Now, pretzels may look intimidating but I promise they are not! Roll out each separate piece into a rope. Place the rope in a ‘U’ shape in front of you, then twist the ends inward, cutting each other and place opposite bottoms edges of the ‘U’. If you get frustrated like I did the first time feel free to make ‘pretzel bites’ and simply roll the dough into bite size pieces for ease.
- Once you have created your pretzels or pretzel bites they will go into the boiling water for 20 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to place them in and take them out of the water to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Here comes the best part! Right before placing your pretzels in the oven generously sprinkle them with Greek Freak Mediterranean Salt-Free Seasoning and sprinkle some reduced sodium feta on these bad boys. Beautiful.
- Let your pretzels bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, and let pretzel bites cook for 8-11 minutes until golden brown. Once removed from the oven take your last tablespoon of olive oil and brush the pretzels/bites.
- Eat and Enjoy!!
Homemade pretzels have never been easier or better for you!!
* Can substitute instant yeast: 1 ⅔ tsp