This simple brine recipe is a great first step when cooking freshly killed waterfowl. Simply whisk together 4 tablespoons of salt with 4 cups of water. Make sure your salt is dissolved before adding your cleaned pouldeau to the brine. Allow your waterfowl to brine for one hour and up to 4 hours. Larger ducks and geese should be brined for longer.
- 15 pouldeau skinned, cleaned, and meat left on the breastplate
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 quarts fowl stock
- 3 bay leaf
- 1 cup green onion
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Spiceology Salt Pepper Garlic Blend
- Tabasco pepper sauce, to taste
- Pepper vinegar (optional)
- In a cast iron pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly on low heat until dark cajun roux is achieved. The color is similar to dark milk chocolate.
- Add sausage to the hot roux and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Stir in onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes on low.
- Stir in bell peppers and celery and cook for an additional 10 minutes on medium heat 5. Add hot fowl stock slowly to the mixture stirring the entire time.
- Add pouldeau meat, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Season with Spiceology SPG Blend.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and turn to medium low.
- Simmer mixture for 1 hour or until the breast meat easily pulls from the bones but does not fall off directly from the bone.
- Re- Season mixture with SPG and Tabasco pepper sauce.
- Finish with green onions and serve gumbo with a dollop of white rice.
Juniors Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 eggs, whole
- 3/4 – 1 cup Blue plate mayo (amounts based on creamy preference) 1 tablespoon yellow mustard + 1 tablespoon Spiceology Salt Pepper Garlic Blend
- Jean-Paul Bourgeois Spicy Andouille Blend, to garnish
- Boil your potatoes and eggs together.
- Peel and fine dice your eggs.
- Add potatoes, mayo, mustard, and SPG to your eggs and stir together until well mashed but not smooth 4. Season the top of the potato salad with Spicy Andouille blend.