Pumpkin Spice Pocket Pastries
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Yield: 4--6 servings 1x
- 2 cups flour (gluten-free will work!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes, kept very cold!
- 4 – 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon Spiceology Pumpkin Spice Blend
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened, we’ll be using the other four ounces for the glaze)
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology Pumpkin Spice Blend
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2--3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (could sub for other flavors as well)
- seasonal sprinkles
- dried fruit
- food dye
- Place your flour, salt, sugar and Pumpkin Spice in a food processor and pulse till combined.
- Add in your cubed butter and continue to pulse till mixture resembles a coarse meal or sand texture. Best if using a food processor insert that doesn’t have a blade. This can also be done in a stand mixer with a paddle and dough hook.
- Then add your 4 tablespoons of water and continue to mix till a dough forms. If it’s not coming together, add an additional tablespoon of water.
- Once mixed, remove and place on a lightly floured surface, lightly knead and set aside to rest.
- Mix together all your ingredients. Can be done in a food processor or stand mixer as well.
- This filling is safe to taste test, so feel free to sample and adjust to your desired level of sugar and spice.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out your dough to approx an 1/8 inch thick rectangle.
- Measure and decide on your pocket pastry size. We went with a 5 x 3.5 and then cut.
- Excess dough can be rerolled 1 – 2 more times.
- Prep a baking sheet and begin laying out the layer on your pocket pastry crust, place one to 2 tbsp of filling in the middle, being careful to keep filling 1/4 away from all edges.
- Place the top layers on, then use your finger dipped in cold water to seal edges.
- To get a little more pocket pastry vibe, you can go back over all the edges with a fork to do an extra seal. (Toaster pastries can be frozen at this time and saved for later.)
- Place in the oven for 20 – 25 min. You’ll want to see some browning on the edges, a rise in the middle, and firmness along the side.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- While your tarts are cooling, make your frosting.
- Start with beating your cream cheese until fluffy, add in the vanilla extract and then the powdered sugar.
- When adding powdered sugar, start the mixer very slowly!
- Begin adding the milk by the tablespoon until desired consistency is achieved.
- At this time, you can divide your frosting up and add desired colors or add ons.
- Once toaster pastries are cool, all that’s left to do is decorate! Have fun!