- 2 pounds chuck roll, cut into 2” pieces (fat is ok)
- 5 pasilla pepper pods
- 3 chipotle pepper pods
- ¼ cup bacon fat or canola oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon Scorpion Powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ quarts beef stock
- Cut beef and set aside.
- Seed the dried chilies and heat your Instant Pot to “saute”. Toast chilies until puffy and fragrant. Remove and add bacon fat or canola.
- Brown beef on all sides working in batches. When all beef is browned well and removed from pot, add onions and cook 3-5 minutes or until they start to become translucent. Add Garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add all remaining ingredients as well as the beef and set your pressure cooker to 1 and ½ hours.
- Let cook until timer runs out. If you can wait to let it slow release do that, if not release pressure and remove meat, carefully. Puree sauce and remaining ingredients in the pot.
- At this point you can make birria style tacos or add the meat to the sauce and serve over rice with tortillas.