Hopefully you already have our Chinese 5 Spice blend in your kitchen, but if you don’t – jump on this.
With fennel, cinnamon, star anise, clove, ginger, and more, Chinese 5 Spice is a wonderfully complex and versatile blend that kicks up this dark chocolate cocoa recipe. Top with whipped cream and candy cane pieces and you have a spicy-sweet holiday treat to keep you cozy.
Note: Any type of milk can be used (low-fat, whole, almond, coconut, oat, soy, etc.) and you can add more or less seasoning to suite your taste. You can also use a pre-made cocoa mix with any of our cocoa flavor hacks.
Chinese 5 Spice Cocoa
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6–10 servings 1x
- 3 cups Non-fat Dry Milk Powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons Spiceology Chinese 5 Spice blend
- 8 oz scalded milk, water, or coffee
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend to combine and chop the chocolate. Reserve the mixture in an airtight container and use as directed.
- In a 12 oz mug add 1/4 cup of your cocoa mix. Add 8 oz scalded milk, water, or coffee and mix to combine.
- Top with whipped cream and candy cane bits.