Beef Jerky is one of the best road trip foods out there. Hikes, lake days, beach bonfires, planes, trains, and automobiles – the jerky will always do you right and hit the spot. Chef Ryan Wiebe shows you how to whip up some in a smoker before you hit the road. Featuring our Cowboy Crust Espresso Chile Rub, it packs a good punch of heat with hints of coffee. Make a batch of this to snack on with your family and friends or eat it all yourself, we won’t judge.
Cowboy Crust Beef Jerky
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours, 10 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- 1 flank steak, trimmed of extra fat
- 1 cup coffee concentrate or espresso
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire
- 1/2 soy sauce or tamari (gluten free)
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology Cowboy Crust, plus more for sprinkling on during smoking
- hot sauce, a few dashes
- Slice beef thinly against the grain.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl or resealable bag.
- Add beef to marinade and put into the fridge overnight.
- Heat smoker to Smoke setting (165°F-180°F).
- Add beef to the smoker and smoke for 4-5 hours (you want the beef to be still pliable not too crispy).
- Add jerky to a bag and rest for 1 hour then put it into the fridge – if it makes it that long!