The Grill Dad’s created these Cottage Fries with Spicy Ranch and they are crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the center with a dusting of The Grill Dad’s Salt Pepper + Sour Cream Onion. This recipe is an easy side to pretty much anything, like burgers, roast chicken, grilled pork loin, literally anything or just to devour this entire plate all by itself. Use a mandolin to make the cutting easier, but if you’ve got knife chops, then slice away.
- 2–3 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- Oil for frying
- 1–2 tablespoons The Grill Dads Salt Pepper _ Sour Cream Onion
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
For Spicy Ranch
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Really Ranch Salt Free Blend
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1–2 teaspoons hot sauce, like Tapatio
- Salt, if desired
- Cut potatoes with a sharp knife of mandolin to 1/4 inch thick rounds. Place in a large bowl and cover with cold water and soak for 2-4 hours. Place on paper towel and allow to dry for 10-15 minutes before frying.
- Heat oil to 300º F. Fry the potatoes in small batches for 5-7 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet, repeat with the remaining potatoes. This is the first fry, so they should not be browned, but just cooked.
- Increase the oil temperature to 375º F and fry the potatoes again until they begin to turn golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove to a clean paper towel lined sheet and immediately sprinkle with Salt Pepper + Sour Cream Onion seasoning on both sides. Repeat with all remaining potatoes and serve immediately with Spicy Ranch (recipe below).
- In a small bowl, add all ranch ingredients and stir well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.