BYE-BYE BORING KETCHUP. FOUR INNOVATIVE HOT DOG TOPPINGS.
Difficulty: Not hard at all, but looks impressive
Time: 10 - 30 minutes (dependent on topping choice)
Every year Americans consume 150 million hot dogs over the Fourth of July. That's a lot of hot dogs. And I'm proud to play my part in contributing to this number. Some may scoff at a hot dog, considering it too pedestrian to deserve a spot at your BBQ. But I think those people are wrong.... and are vastly underestimating the humble hot dog. As a hot dog connoisseur, I've spent years perfecting my top four hot dog toppings. Check them out below, try 'em out at your next BBQ, and send anyone my way who dares talk down to a hot dog.
Black & Bleu Dog
Hot dog + Black & Bleu sauce + Coleslaw + Hot Sauce + Celery = a perfect cheesy dog with a kick and some crunch.
- Hot sauce of your choosing (I love Frank's Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
For Black & Bleu Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Black & Bleu Rub
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- stick of celery, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Grill your dogs up. While grilling, mix all ingredients in Black & Bleu sauce together.
- Build your hot dog by adding coleslaw and Black & Bleu sauce to your dog.
- Sprinkle celery and hot sauce on top
- Top with additional blue cheese crumbles, if desired
Hot dog + Grilled pineapple + Maui Wowee Teriyaki sauce +Maui Wowee Canadian Bacon + Red Onions + Jalapenos + Cilantro = a sweet and tangy hot dog reminiscent of the Pacific Rim.
- Hot dogs
- 1 pineapple cut and grilled
- 1 lb Canadian bacon
- 1 red onion diced
- Pickled jalapenos
- Cilantro (chopped)
For the Maui Wowee Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon Maui Wowee Rub
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Generously coat Canadian bacon in Maui Wowee. Turn your oven to 400° F, coat a baking sheet in foil or parchment paper, and cook for 30-35 minutes, flipping bacon over halfway through. Remove from oven once crispy, allow time to cool then chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut pineapple in slices and grill for 5 minutes on each side. Remove pineapple from grill and dice into bite-size pieces. Make sure to remove the core, as you cut.
- Combine all ingredients in Maui Wowee Teriyaki sauce together and whisk.
- Build your hot dog by combining pineapple, bacon, and sauce together. Top with diced red onion, pickled jalapenos, and chopped cilantro.
- Enjoy and imagine you're at the beach.
This combination is named after my late Bernese Mountain Dog, Jasper. Despite weighing in at 145 lbs, he was light on his feet (or should I say paws?) and always managed to snag one of the hot dogs off the counter. Hence these cajun-inspired dogs bear his name.
Hot dog + Black Magic Roasted Peppers + Black Magic Bacon + Pickled Jalapenos + White Cheddar = A delicious dog with enough veggie to stave off guilt.
- Hot dogs
- Black Magic Cajun Rub
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- Pickled jalapenos
- Shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound bacon
- Coat bacon in Black Magic rub and cook to your liking. Remove from oven and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut up your peppers, and coat them generously in olive oil and Black Magic. Cook on the grill till slightly charred.
- Combine hot dog, peppers, and bacon in a bun. Top with pickled jalapenos and white cheddar cheese.
- Enjoy (and be sure to keep away from a four-legged friend who may try and sneak a bite.)
Hot Dog with Some Heat
Hot dog + Kick A** Ketchup + Mighty Hot Mustard + Nashville Hot Chicken Coated Bacon + Grilled Onions with Honey Mustard IPA Rub + Crushed Hot Cheez-its = a hot dog that will have you reaching for your water glass
For the Kick A** Ketchup
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1.5 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (use 1/2 teaspoon if you don't LOVE ginger)
For the Mighty Hot Mustard
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons Kick A** ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (fresh or minced is fine)
- 1/2 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Coat bacon in Nashville Hot Chicken rub then cook to your liking. Once cooked, chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop up the onion and add to a saucepan with oil. Coat generously with Honey Mustard IPA Rub. Cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes, depending on how you like your onions.
- Mix all ingredients for Kick A** ketchup together.
- Mix all ingredients for Mighty Hot Mustard together.
- Assemble hot dog with onions, Kick A** Ketchup, Mighty Hot Mustard, and bacon. Top with crushed hot Cheez-Its or your favorite potato chip (crushed), for a perfect crunch.
- Enjoy, and make sure you have some water nearby.