Recipe By: Farmgirl Gourmet (Spiceology Co-Founder, Heather Scholten)
Difficulty Level: Easy
Seriously...I already know what you're thinking. Peanut Butter & Jelly Burgers - EW. Yep, I can hear you from here. Now that we have that out of the way, let's get serious for a minute.
These were the BEST burgers I've ever had in my entire life.
Ok, I can hear you again! But listen, I'm my own worst critic. I will proclaim meals a failure when my family and friends are licking their fingers in foodie joy. I'm extremely hard on myself because as a respected recipe developer I strive to be better than the Homemade Hamburger Helper that keeps my food blog alive. Let's get back to the burgs...
These babies were a snap to make. There is a little prep time in the bacon jam, but it's mostly a stir here and there while you do other things. The ground beef was major flavor town and the addition of really quality raspberry jam...well that was the cherry on top of these bad boys.
Should we get to the recipe? Ok. Here we go....
PB & JELLY BURGERS
Makes 6 Servings
For the Bacon Jam
- 2 lbs thick-sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 3 shallots, diced small (if you don't have a shallot, use a small onion and add a pinch of garlic powder)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee or store-bought
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (or replace with balsamic, white wine vinegar, or red wine vinegar, almost any vinegar will do)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup (or the fake stuff)
- 2-3 tablespoons Smoky Honey Habanero spice rub
- In a large dutch oven (or saucepan) over medium-high heat, add the bacon and cook until lightly browned. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings in your pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, but not browned, about 5-6 minutes. Add the coffee, vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and Smoky Honey Habanero Rub. Cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Add the bacon and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and turns sticky and syrupy, about 45 minutes to an hour. We suggest binge-watching a show on Netflix while this is happening. We love Final Table.
- Cool slightly and then pulse in a food processor until the jam is coarse and slightly pureed.
For the Burgers
- 2 pounds ground beef (80/20 or whatever you have. Turkey will work too, but it's hard to make patties. If you use turkey all the time, you know what we're talking about.)
- 3-4 tablespoons Thai Peanut Spice Rub
- 6 burger buns (brioche if you have a choice)
- Raspberry Jam (see, it's good for more than just kids' lunches)
- In a large bowl add the ground beef and Thai Peanut spice rub. Mix well to combine and form into 6 patties.
- Heat the grill (or pan) and cook the patties to your liking. Want to get fancy? Toast the buns. Remove buns and burger patties and assemble.
- Spread a tablespoon of your delicious bacon jam on the bottom bun, top with the burger, lettuce and spread a couple of teaspoons (or more) of raspberry jam on the top bun. Repeat with the remaining 5 buns and DEVOUR.