Steak is one of my favorite proteins....ever. I have moments when I think it would be awesome to be a vegetarian, but then I think about steak and that whole notion gets tossed to the wind. Sometimes, you just need a quick steak fix and firing up the grill isn't an option. A good ole cast iron pan can do the trick in no time.
For this steak, I seasoned it heavily with S & P, melted a good amount of butter in the pan and tossed in some fresh rosemary sprigs for added umami. When rosemary gets hot, oils are released that perfume the butter and steak. Think hot summer day, running your hands along a rosemary bush and how intoxicating the smell of your hands are for hours later. Now I'm longing for summer days.
After the steak is cooked to your liking, remove it to a plate and top with a pat of Smoky Honey Habanero Butter. The heat from the steak will melt the spicy sweet deliciousness over it and it's good stuff. Really really really good stuff. Let's get to the recipe.
PAN SEARED STEAK WITH SMOKY HONEY HABANERO BUTTER
- 2 large t-bone steaks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Smoky Honey Habanero Butter
- Generously sprinkle steaks with fresh cracked pepper and Kosher salt. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, big enough to fit both steaks, or conversely holds 1 steak and work in batches. Add the steak and sear, add the rosemary to the pan. Use a spoon to drizzle some of the melted butter over the steak as it cooks. Flip and repeat. When it's done to you liking, discard rosemary and remove steak. Top with a tablespoon of the Smoky Honey Habanero butter. Devour.
SMOKY HONEY HABANERO BUTTER
Makes 1 cup
- 2 sticks salted butter (1 cup), room temperature
- 4 teaspoons Smoky Honey Habanero Rub
- Parchment paper
Place the butter and Smoky Honey Habanero rub in a food processor and pulse until combined. Cut off a square of parchment paper and add the butter to the center, fold up the sides to make a log and twist the ends. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. Remove and use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.