SPICY PEANUT CRUSTED QUAIL
WITH COLLARD GREEN SALAD
Recipe by: Deborah VanTrece @chefdeborahvantrece
Difficulty level: Medium
Serves: 4 main courses or 8 appetizers
When I think of recipes for pride month I always feel, I should let loose and let my spirit fly; take chances by combining unexpected flavor combinations. This dish while still remaining true to my soulful style and traditions is familiar with a touch of flamboyance. It’s savory and spicy with a little touch of sweetness for balance. That is how I define my queer community. We are a little bit of everything! Serve this dish for a nice but casual dinner with friends.
Collard green salad
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cubed and blanched
- 6 cups collard greens, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup sliced radishes
- 1 tablespoon Spiceology Smoky Habanero Rub
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoon Spiceology Maui Wowee Rub
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Toss sweet potatoes, collard greens, red onion, red peppers, carrots, radish, and Smokey Habanero Spice blend together in a large bowl.
- In a blender or food processor at medium speed, combine vinegar, honey, shallot, Maui Wowee spice blend, garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil until incorporated and dressing is thick. Drizzle 1/3 to 2/3 cup of dressing over vegetables and toss. Allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes or until greens begin to slightly wilt. (Refrigerate the leftover dressing for later use. Dressing will last up to 2 weeks.)
Spicy Peanut Crusted Quail
- Place quail on a sheet pan or platter. In a small bowl, combine Greek Freak, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Sprinkle mixture over quail then flip over quail and repeat on the other side.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs and water. Set aside egg wash.
- In a large shallow pan, combine flour, peanuts, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, Chile Margarita blend.
- Dip each seasoned quail into egg wash, then dredge in peanut flour mixture. Press breading into quail to help breading to adhere. Transfer to a platter or sheet pan.
- Pour ¼ inch of oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Using tongs, carefully place quail pieces in hot oil, being sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook quail for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Using tongs turn over and brown on other side. Remove quail from oil and transfer to a large baking pan. Place the baking pan uncovered in a 350°F oven. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes to cook through. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
To serve place quail over collard green salad and drizzle with reserved dressing. Enjoy!