Chef Tony shows you that searing scallops at home doesn’t have to be scary. Watch as he walks you through the steps of searing, including basting with a Black & Bleu compound butter.
Pick up these high-quality proteins and pre-made Spiceology compound butters at Rosauers Supermarket Meat Departments. Find Your Store
- 3 oz Prosciutto, diced
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 8 oz package Gnocchi
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 can Hard Cider
- 1 pint Heavy Cream
- 4 oz Parmesan, Grated
- 1 lb Scallops
- 4 oz Mushrooms, Sliced
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- Chili Flake for garnish
- Pea shoots for garnish
- 2–3 Tbsp Black & Bleu Compound Butter (1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature + 1 Tbsp Spiceology Black & Bleu blend – Mix well, place on parchment paper and seal well, and freeze to firm.)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- Rinse and pat dry scallops and season with salt on a plate and set aside.
- In a sauté pan on medium heat, drop in your prosciutto and shallots and render your prosciutto while sweating the shallots.
- Now add your mushrooms and sauté until tender. Pour in your Worcestershire sauce, deglaze the pan with the apple cider vinegar.
- Up your temperature to medium-high heat and pour in your hard cider.
- Reduce half the cider then add your heavy cream.
- Once the cream is applied to the sauce, reduce to a simmer. Stir often to avoid scorching the cream to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the cream sauce has reduced half way, drop in lemon zest and parmesan cheese.
- Toss sauce with the gnocchi and simmer until the sauce is nappe (the consistency of a sauce that will coat the back of a spoon).
- While the sauce is simmering, you’ll want to get a medium size sauté pan on high heat to sear your scallops.
- Once the pan is smoking hot apply about a tablespoon of oil to the pan and move to medium-high heat.
- Set your scallops in the pan and sear. You’ll want to sear your scallop for 1-2 minutes before turning over and searing the opposite side.
- Once you turn your scallops you’ll now drop in your Black & Bleu compound butter and baste for another 2 minutes.
- Place finished scallops on a paper towel to drain off any excess butter and plate over your gnocchi and cream sauce.
- Garnish with pea shoots and chili flake and serve.