Move over fried pickles, mushrooms are having their moment.
His trick for the perfect better? Add soda water to create a light and airy crunch factor.
- 1–2 lbs of button mushrooms
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 4 Tbsp divided., Spiceology Black Magic Cajun Blackening seasoning
- Club soda/soda water, as needed. Make sure it’s cold.
- Canola oil for frying
- Large dice your mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
- Divide your flour into 2 separate bowls, seasoning both with 2 Tbsps of Spiceology Black Magic.
- Toss your mushrooms in one of the bowls of flour, set aside.
- In your other bowl of flour, add enough soda water to make a batter, you want the consistency to be a bit looser than pancake batter. Roughly 1 small can of soda water (around 1 cup of soda water to 1 cup of flour).
- Heat your oil to 350° F.
- Once oil is hot place your flour covered mushrooms into the batter and make sure to cover the whole mushroom, letting the excess batter drip off the mushrooms.
- Carefully place mushrooms into the hot oil, one at a time and don’t over crowd your pan.
- Flip after about 1-2 minutes, frying for 3-4 minutes total.
- Place on a wire rack or paper towel.
- Season with more Spiceology Black Magic and serve with your favorite ranch as a dip! Enjoy.