What makes this easy homemade salsa so insanely good? The CHAR.
That thin dark line between a flavor enhancer and just downright burnt, char can add amazing depth of flavor – it just takes a little bit of patience, awareness of heat and just a hint of grilling technique.
This is the sign you need to stock up on our Chile Margarita signature blend – it’s a perfect blend anytime of year, but it makes dishes shine in spring and summer.
Don’t have a grill? Chef Ryan also includes instructions on how to achieve char in the oven.
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh or canned green tomatillos (note: I learned fresh hold up better on the grill)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, rough chop
- 3 tablespoons Spiceology Chile Margarita Mexican Citrus blend
- Olive oil, as needed
- Fire up your grill on high or turn your oven’s broiler on high
- Quarter your onion, half your jalapeño and season your veggies with olive oil and 2 tbsp of Spiceology Chile Margarita blend.
- Place your veggies on the grill or in your oven until veggies are soft and charred nicely, remove.
- Place your charred veg, fresh garlic and cilantro along with the 1 tbsp of Spiceology Chile Margarita in a container or in a blender. Blend all your ingredients together (adding a bit of olive oil if you need to loosen it up) and blend until no chunks and everything is combined.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Enjoy as a dip or with your favorite tacos!