Biscuit & Eggs Benedict Recipe
- Recipe by: Matt Broussard @acooknamedmatt
- Difficulty level: Moderate
- Time: 1.5 hours
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold cubed butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups melted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Tarragon
- salt and lemon, to taste
- Smoked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Mix all the dry ingredients with the butter until butter turns into pea-size balls.
- Mix in buttermilk.
- Roll out on a floured surface and give about three folds.
- Cut into equal sizes and put on a greased sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush lightly with egg wash.
- Bake at 425°F for 4 minutes on all four sides.
- Remove and brush with melted butter.
- Put egg yolks and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl.
- Place a pot, fill a third of the way, on the stove on low heat.
- Place the heatproof bowl on top of the pot on the stove.
- Whisk continuously until eggs become ribbony and fluffy.
- Remove from pot and begin adding in melted butter while whisking.
- Alternate from heat on and off to avoid scrambling.
- Once the sauce is thick, add tarragon and season with salt, smoked pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- Hold in a warm place until ready to serve.
- Bring a pot with water salt and vinegar to a soft boil. Not rolling!
- Crack egg into small bowl or cup.
- Form a vortex in the pot of water and drop an egg in the center slowly. Slooooowly. (See Matt’s Youtube video above for inspiration.)
- Let cook for about two minutes or until desired doneness.
Smother those poached eggs with hollandaise. Finish with flake salt.
Serve biscuits with your choice of bacon…. or not!