Sour Cream Onion or classic Everything?
When making homemade bagels shake on whatever spice blend you want and never look back.
Our Spiceology X The Grill Dads Salt + Pepper Sour Cream Onion blend is made with vinegar, chives, onions, a tiny bit of horseradish and yes, real sour cream. Or go not-so-basic Everything Bagel – you won’t be sorry.
- 2 7 oz packets of Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 ¼ cups warm water
- 5 cups flour (we used bread flour) – extra may be needed when kneading
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Pot of water
- Barley malt syrup or more brown sugar (we used barley malt syrup)
- In one bowl, mix yeast, warm water and sugar together. Cover with a damp paper towel and sit for 10 minutes.
- While your yeast is sitting, mix flour, brown sugar and salt together.
- After your yeast has rested, add it to your flour mixture. Roughly combine into a dough ball.
- Place your dough ball on a floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until completely smooth
- Once smooth, separate into 8-12 dough balls (we did 8 and they turned out pretty large!) and over with a clean, damp towel. Rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, make a hole in the center of each dough ball and place each bagel on a square piece of parchment.
- Cover your bagels again with a damp towel for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and begin boiling water + barley malt syrup.
- Boil bagels for 1 minute on each side, about 2 bagels at a time.
- Add boiled bagels to a baking sheet with parchment paper and season however you’d like – optional to add an egg wash on top first for an extra golden crust.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy with your favorite schmear or sandwich toppings!