Click play to watch the above recipe video!
Spring, summer, fall, winter – no matter what the season this No. 46 Roasted Chicken and Bourbon-Glazed Squash a certifiable crowd pleaser. Sure, you’ll have a few more squash options in fall, but this recipe will find it’s way into your regular rotation. The star of this dish is the Spiceology x Maker’s Mark 46® No.46 Bourbon-Inspired Spice Blend wet rub that coats the bird; pair it with bourbon-glazed roasted squash and you have a cozy, ultra-flavorful reason to gather around the table together.
Not up for roasting a whole chicken – the Bourbon-Glazed Squash can be plated with pork, beef – pretty much any other main and be delicious.
For the Chicken:
- 3 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- 1/4 cup Spiceology x Maker’s Mark 46 No. 46 Spice Blend
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 Cup butter or margarine, divided
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 each carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 each yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Maker’s Mark 46 Bourbon (optional)
For the Bourbon-Glazed Squash
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 pounds Fresh pumpkin (carrots, acorn, kabocha, or butternut squash can be substituted), cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Maker’s Mark 46 Bourbon
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology x Maker’s Mark 46 No. 46 Spice Blend
For the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place the chicken in a lightly oiled roasting pan.
- In a bowl, combine the Spiceology x Maker’s Mark 46 No. 46 Spice Blend and olive oil, mix to form a paste.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with half of the spice and olive oil paste.
- Toss together the remaining spice and olive oil paste with the chopped veggies and place inside the chicken in the pan.
- Chop the butter into tablespoon size chunks, place half inside the chicken and the other half around the out side.
- Pour the bourbon into the pan, around the chicken.
- Bake the chicken in preheated oven for about 1 – 1.5 hours until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (check the temperature at the thickest part of the thigh with an instant read or meat thermometer).
- Remove from the oven, baste the chicken with any drippings. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and let rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.
For the Bourbon-Glazed Squash:
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Continue cooking the butter until the liquid evaporates and the milk solids begin to brown.
- Add the pumpkin and season with salt. Cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the bourbon. Return to heat and cook until liquid has almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the brown sugar and Spiceology x Maker’s Mark 46 No. 46 Spice Blend. Stir and continue cooking until pumpkin is cooked through and sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with No. 46 Roasted Chicken.