These Ooomami Pickled Shiitake Mushrooms should start taking up regular residency in your fridge.
Inspired by Momofuku‘s recipe, Chef Ryan Wiebe puts his spin on these flavor-packed fungi using our Ooomami blend.
Ooomami has an addictive and complex flavor profile with shiitake and porcini mushroom powder, brownulated sugar, dehydrated butter, garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce powder, chipotle, and more.
Pro tip: after you make these mushrooms – try this blend in your burger patties.
Ooomami Pickled Shiitake Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 75 g dehydrated shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soy
- 1/3 cup rice wine
- 1/2 cup Chinkiang vinegar
- 1/2 cup water used to rehydrate the mushrooms
- 1–2 Tbsp Spiceology X Girl Carnivore Ooomami blend
- Rehydrate your shiitake mushrooms by steeping them in water (or if you were making ramen broth this is a great way to not waste your mushrooms). Steep for 15 minutes or until completely soft.
- Remove the mushrooms woody stalks and slice the mushroom caps into thin slices. Add to a pot and add the rest of the ingredients, mix and lightly simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place your mushrooms into a container with the prickling liquid and store in your fridge for a few months.
- These are great in ramen, on a pickle plate or as a snack!